A new ICU brings advanced technology and a sense of hope
A change of scenery can make all the difference, especially after a traumatic experience.
In the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, Tucson Medical Center’s Intensive Care Unit was near or at capacity most days. This unit saw (and still sees) the sickest patients. The ICU staff experienced some of the greatest successes and some of the most devastating losses.
When the numbers of hospitalized patients sick with COVID-19 began to decrease, it was time to give the ICU a fresh start, complete with new floors, bright colors, upgraded technology and a feeling of hope.
“The renovation gave the staff a brighter outlook,” said Jenny Tuttle, who was the ICU’s manager at the time of renovation. “It was a catharsis and a cleansing of COVID. It was such a tough time here. Every room had a COVID patient.”
Upgrades also include top-of-the line technology and equipment to ensure infection prevention and quality patient care.
Thanks to the support of the community and its participation in TMC Mega Raffle, upgrades to the ICU include:
- New floors and bright, healing colors
- Hemodialysis hookups in each room
- 10 reverse airflow isolation rooms
- 3 TB/airborne isolation rooms
- Respiratory care workstations
- 2 additional equipment closets
- Upgraded air-handling systems
- Advance data ports in all rooms
- New computer workstations in each room
- New and mobile stock carts in all rooms
- Blinds built into windows to help with infection prevention
- Monitors with state-of-the-art technology that can be manipulated and rotated for a better view
The purchase of a TMC Mega Raffle ticket helps fund these vital projects and services at your community hospital, directly impacting the most vulnerable members of our Southern Arizona community.